Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Training Magic Dog Treats

I've been at the Houston Quilt Market and Festival since Friday, and I'm already missing Elle Mae, my 7 year old half poodle, half whatever that includes some terrier. Both the poodle and the terrier combined make for a very smart dog, but unless she gets the Magic Treats, she backslides.  (Don't we all backslide when we quit getting positive feedback or rewards. 
Before I left home, I made her special treats so she would behave for my house sitter. 
These Magic Treats may vary, based on the leftovers that I have frozen for this special dish.  Beware, only bake these when you can have all the windows open.

I can Mackerel
2 eggs
Leftover baked sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes (you get the idea)
Leftover lean meats
2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Powdered Milk - several tablespoons
Flour

Place the first 5 ingredients in the blender and process until smooth.  Add flour until it is too thick to process any more, then place in a bowl and add more flour until the mixture is the consistency of thick cookie dough.
Place dough on parchment paper heavily sprinkled with flour on a cookie sheet.  Sprinkle more flour on top and push the dough to the edges of the cookie sheet.  Sprinkle more flour on top and score the dough with a pizza cutter into 1" or smaller squares.
Bake at 350 degrees for about  30 minutes, then at 250 degrees until dry.  About half way through, I use a spatula to flip over the treats so they will bake very dry.  I have placed them in the microwave to finish this last step. If dry enough, you do not have to refrigerate them.

Break them up and see your best friend's eyes light up.

No comments:

Post a Comment